Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Glory of God

Jn. 11:40
"Jesus said to her, "Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?"

Jesus' love for Mary, Martha, and Lazarus was obvious. His heart ached to hear the news of Lazarus' illness, but yet He did not go immediately to him because his illness was for the glory of God. Instead He stayed two days longer where He was. Then finally, He began the journey to Bethany in spite of the men who were seeking to stone Him in that area. As He neared, Martha ran to Him. Is it surprising that she would run out to meet Him? No, after all, she was the one who was busy with much serving. She is still busy seeking to inform Jesus of what has happened, but Mary stayed home, no doubt, meditating, pondering, grieving, and remembering her brother. Martha's first words were, If You had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever You ask from God, God will give You. Jesus told her that Lazarus would rise again, but Martha took that to mean in the resurrection day. Jesus declared Himself the Resurrection and the Life and that whoever would believe in Him would live. Pointedly, He asked her, do you believe this? She said she believed He was the Christ, the Son of God. Yet in spite of this, when they went to the tomb, she was only concerned about his odor as a dead man. (Once again reflective of who she was). Perhaps her knowledge was still making its way from her head to her heart, or her busyness had limited the scope of her faith and trust.
 
When Mary was called to Jesus, she fell at His feet (the only place to be!) and said the same words as Martha, but judging by Jesus' response, the emotion of her heart must have been vastly different. ( In keeping with who Mary was.) When Jesus saw her weeping, He Himself wept. He suffered as she did even though He knew He would raise Lazarus from the dead. What a heart of compassion!
 
As Jesus came to the tomb, He was deeply moved. Immediately, He called for the stone to be removed,  and then He prayed saying, Father, I thank You that You have heard me. I knew that You always hear Me, but I said this on account of the people standing around, that they may believe that You sent me." He acknowledged the greater purpose of the events and declared His position in relation to the Father. He was completely humble, submissive, and obedient. Obviously, There was more at stake here than the restoration of Lazarus. When Jesus told Lazarus to come forth, Lazarus did still bound in his grave clothes. Many people believed after seeing such a miracle, but sadly others ran to report the incident to the Pharisees. Jesus did all for the glory of the Father, and in this case, it was a rough time for Mary and Martha. God was doing a great thing, but it involved suffering for them. Am I willing to let my life reflect God's glory even when it is painful, or do I seek the easy way out of circumstances? Is my heart fully trusting in the One who is my Resurrection and my Life?
 
Father,
Help me to bring glory to You by resting in Your plan for my life. Teach me to fall at Your feet when my heat is pained and grieving.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment