Thursday, November 22, 2012

Christ Lives in Me

Gal. 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.
 
Paul was able to make these strong declarations because he knew he was not justified by the law even though he was a Jew by birth, his justification came through faith in Jesus Christ alone. The fact that Paul was justified by Christ and not through any works does not mean that he could sin at will for that would make Christ a servant of sin. He could not rebuild what he had already torn down. However, the solution to the dilemma is in verse 20. Because Paul was crucified with Christ, not physically but spiritually by identifying with Christ in His death, he was released from the power of sin and death. He would no longer be dominated, enslaved, or live to sin. In sin's place, Jesus would come and indwell the believer. As Paul said, Christ lives in me. The life that Paul was now living in the flesh would be by faith in the Son of God. Making salvation and justification dependent on works means that Christ died for no purpose. Horrendous thought! 
 
What is in man that makes him want to earn favor with God? Is it related to his pride or his inflated sense of self? I only have worth because of Jesus Christ who saved me at the cost of His life. When I try and claim meaning through what I do, I am nullifying His grace. But still how do I live in the power of Christ? How do I make this verse a practical reality?
 
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.
 
Father,
Teach me how to live in Your grace. Reveal to me when my self-will is taking over so that I might repent. I want my life in the flesh to be by faith in Jesus Christ.
In Jesus name,
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment