Thursday, November 1, 2012

No Shame!

II Tim. 1:12
But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that He is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me.
 
What a relationship Paul and Timothy had! Constantly, Paul thanks God for Timothy as he remembered him in his prayers. If he couldn't be with him personally, he would go to the Father to express his heart and his desires for Timothy. As Paul remembered Timothy's tears and his sincere faith, he longed to see him so that his joy would be full. But that was not possible so Paul had to write to unburden his heart.
 
Paul reminded Timothy of some essential things, things that would guard his soul.
  • Fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. Certainly, times were hard. Paul was imprisoned, but that was no reason to back down. Instead it should be a fan flaming the gift in power, love, and self-control. No fear even in the face of dire circumstances!
  • Do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, not of me His prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God. It is as if Paul was clarifying his imprisonment reminding him that being imprisoned for the gospel is entirely different from being imprisoned for wrong-doing. Instead of shame, he should share in the suffering. This was what believers were called to do! No shame even in the face of dire circumstances!
  • But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that He is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me. To reinforce what he said before, he now says it for himself. Not only should Timothy be unashamed, but he is unashamed as well. He is 100% sure of Jesus and His ability to guard him until the Day of His return. No wavering even in the face of dire circumstances!
  • Follow the pattern of sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Timothy needed to cling to the Word, the teaching that Paul had given Him. How would this be possible? Certainly not in his own strength, but in the faith and love of Jesus. It is all of grace! No wandering away even in the face of dire circumstances!
  • By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you. Timothy needed to be actively guarding the good deposit, the gospel, by the indwelling Holy Spirit. Not in his strength or wisdom, but in God's strength energizing his desire. No laziness especially in the face of dire circumstances! 
Paul wanted Timothy, his son in the faith, to realize that they were saved and called to a holy calling, not because of their works, their personal strength, or intelligence, but because of God's own purpose and grace that was given to them in and through Jesus, his death and resurrection. His power and grace was their life! It energized all that they did and thought!
 
Father,
Give me this strength and boldness in my calling. Help me not to fear man or let any shame sneak into my life. Help me guard the good deposit You have given me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment