Monday, November 12, 2012

Foolish Passions

James 4:6-8
But He gives more grace, therefore it says, God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and He will draw near to You. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
 
James begins chapter 4 with several loaded questions. What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? It is not that your passions are at war within you? Look inside not around! Many times we foolishly think that if a certain person were not in our body, we would have no problem because it is our old nature to put the blame squarely on others and not on ourselves. But James says, not so. You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. He has clearly identified two problems. First our prayer life is ineffective, so we go after things in our own strength. When we see someone else has what we want, we fight and quarrel to satisfy our passions much like small children. Secondly, our fleshly passions are dictating not only our interpersonal relationships but also our prayer life. How closely these two things are intertwined!
 
Peter speaks of these same passions that result in fighting, quarreling, and sometimes even violence.   So put away all malice, and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander...so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God. For the time that is past suffices for doing what the Gentiles want to do... These passions are from the old life, the old nature, and the old mindset, but as believers we need to live in the new life, the new nature, and with a Christ mindset. The one who allows these thoughts, behaviors, and attitudes in their life is fostering friendship with the world! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God. James emphasizes that God yearns jealously over the Spirit that He has made to dwell in us.
Do I care more about what the world thinks than what God thinks? What should I do when I feel these primal emotions welling up inside of me? Confess, repent, and walk in the Spirit believing that I don't have to fall prey to the controls of my fleshly passions. I must cry out to God for the grace that gives strength, and secure His help in ridding myself of pride and of my sinister desire to be friends both with the world and with God.
 
Secondly, James tells us to examine our prayer life. What is the content of our petitions? Are they more for fleshly possessions and power and less for spiritual growth and truth? James has stated clearly, God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Don't pray for possessions and power that feed the flesh, but instead pray for what is needed to feed the soul. What are those things? James leaves nothing for our imaginations to surmise, but clearly states, submit yourselves to God, resist the devil [perhaps the very passions that are defeating you.], draw near to God, cleanse your hands and hearts, be single-minded [ No attempts at friendship with the world and with God.] God has His grace for me, a grace that can keep my friendship with God strong and healthy. What a shame to pray and go through all the motions of being a believer but still be an enmity with God and still seeking to satisfy the passions of the flesh! For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. Am I still hanging on to the world, its passions and pleasures? Do I want the best of both worlds? Does pride control my life and hinder my growth? Am I wishy-washy in my resolve?
 
Father,
Strong words! I confess that at times I house feelings and thoughts that are not from my new nature. Prompt me to confess them immediately and not give them the audience that they want. Teach me this walk of faith and the resolve that I need to live it. Grow me each day.
In His name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment