Saturday, November 10, 2012

Faith and Works

James 2:26
For as the body apart from the Spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.
 
Faith must be evidenced practically in my life, for without works my faith is useless and merely becomes head knowledge. For example, if I see a hungry or needy brother and tell them to be warmed and filled, yet do nothing to meet that basic physical need, what good is it? Empty words are useless to the one who says them as well as to the hearer. Take for example, Israel when she declared her faithful love for God, but in reality worshipped false gods. Her heart was far from her words and in no way reflected love for God! Conversely, works without faith is useless too. It merely becomes humanitarian act done apart from any spiritual meaning. Unless this relationship of faith and works is viable, I am nothing but a foolish person. Strong words!
 
Abraham possessed just such faith. Definitely,  He believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness. But along with his belief, his faith, he took obedient action. He was willing to offer Isaac, the promised child, on the altar. His faith was made complete by his obedient action. He knew that if God wanted him to offer the child of the promise, He would bring him back to life if need be. He never doubted the promises of God even though circumstances looked to the contrary. As a result, he was called a friend of God. So then, friendship with God is based on faith that flows out into obedient actions. Could my faith lived out practically in works make me a friend of God? Yes!
 
In the same way, Rahab, the prostitute, was justified by her works when she took action to save the messengers of Israel. She believed in what God had said and was willing to take active steps to demonstrate her faith and belief. For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. Just like Abraham, her faith was made complete by her actions! think of Jesus in His earthly ministry. He was committed to live out the will of the Father no matter how unpleasant or painful. His belief in the words of the Father were His motivation for all that He did. His faith was active and completed in the greatest act of all, His death on a cross whereby my redemption was made secure.
 
So I must examine my life. Is my faith evidenced in what I do? Do I seek to believe and to obey?
 
Father,
Thank You for choosing me to be Your child. Strengthen my faith so that I might live like I believe.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment