Thursday, November 8, 2012

Refreshed

Philemon 7
For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.
 
 
What an interesting word! Refreshed...Paul's heart had been comforted knowing that Philemon was ministering to the saints. After hearing of his love and faith toward the Lord and also toward the saints, he had prayed that the sharing of Philemon's faith would be effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that resides within him, and within all believers. What is that good thing? I am thinking that it is Christ in you, the hope of glory. No doubt Philemon was  growing in this knowledge and his understanding was overflowing into ministry to others, and through this growth he was able to refresh the hearts of the saints.
 
Paul also appealed to Philemon [master and owner] concerning Onesimus, his runaway slave. He acknowledged that Philemon was in the wrong and was sending him back to Philemon with this letter. However, the situation was much more complex than that. Paul was so attached to him that sending him meant Paul was sending his very heart. The bond between Paul and Onesimus had been forged in the very flames of the Spirit. Even though Paul could have demanded the release of Onesimus, he wanted Philemon's consent. He even went so far as to say that Onesimus was parted from him for awhile that he might have him back forever, no longer a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother-- especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. What a well crafted appeal! What a bond the presence of the indwelling Jesus makes! What a practical example of what it means to have Christ in you the hope of glory. To close his appeal, Paul simply said...if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would me. If he wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. Paul was deeply committed to this relationship and was willing to cross the acceptable cultural conventions of that day for the sake of a brother in Christ. For in Christ Jesus you all our sons of God, through faith...There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Paul was asking Philemon to function on the higher law of Christ. Attesting to the veracity of the letter, Paul called attention to his very own hand writing. Again he stressed repayment. But in this repayment, he brought in a new thought. He recalled that Philemon owed Paul for his very soul. Perhaps he was wanting a soul for a soul, a debt for a debt. Paul desired some benefit from Philemon, a benefit that comes only from the Lord. He wanted Philemon to refresh his heart in Christ.
 
How can I refresh the heart of the believers in my local body? As Paul demonstrated, it is by helping them make the harder but right choices, choices based on the word of God. By my living out the Word of God and by sharing what God says, I can bring refreshing through His grace and His power. Also, Paul was so invested in relationships that there was a personal cost for him, a cost that he was totally willing to assume. Am I willing to be that invested? Am I that concerned about other's problems? Certainly, Paul lived out what he taught, and was unafraid to share the word of God even if it was a touchy area. His concern was for the higher purpose, the welfare and growth of the soul. How can I refresh the souls of others? Am I bold enough to ask for refreshment
 
Father,
What a great example of living with the power of the indwelling Christ. Open my eyes to the needs around me so that I might be your hands and feet to refresh the hearts of others. Teach me what it means practically that Christ is in me, the hope of Glory.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment