Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Walk by the Spirit

Gal. 5:15
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
 
It sounds simple when it is stated like v. 15. Why should walking by the Spirit be so hard if the Spirit indwells believers? The rub comes in the fact that the desires of the flesh and the desires of the Spirit are at war; in fact, my life is a constant battle ground. I can never ease up on watching and praying because the flesh is lying in wait ready to pounce at its first opportunity. The works of the flesh are clearly obvious :sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. What a warning list! If any of these are evident, then my walk is compromised. The enemy has gained a foothold. When my life is infiltrated, I need to immediately confess and repent. This is an area that can not tolerate compromise. Those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
 
In contrast, walking in the Spirit is equally obvious: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, against such there is no law. And those who belong to Jesus Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. There is the answer: if I am continually struggling, I have not crucified the flesh. I must reckon it dead, no longer alive in my body, no longer appealing, and no longer tolerated. Walking by the Spirit is a narrow path leaving no room for the flesh to pop out even for a moment. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.  Envying or provoking either on the grounds of worldliness or on the grounds of spirituality is a no-go. My Spirit-Walk is unique to me and is something that I live by the promptings of the Spirit. My desires are an important part of this walk. Just as in the past,  I desired to gratify my flesh, I must know want to satisfy my spirit. My desire and commitment coupled with God's grace and strength will enable me to walk by the Spirit. I can't be wishy-washy in what I want and I must never tolerate sin in my own life. I must be preoccupied with walking in the Spirit and being a citizen of the kingdom of God.
 
Father,
I desire to walk in Your way. Point out what is wrong in my life and give me your grace to confess, repent, and walk in a new way. Change my desires so that they are in harmony with Your Spirit living within me.
In Jesus name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment