Sunday, November 18, 2012

Humility

I Pet. 5:5
...Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
 
How hard to grasp what humility really is! So illusive! When you think that you have it, you don't! But Peter does give some guidelines for living in humility by emphasizing its relational quality. It not only impacts the way that we relate to one another but also impacts the way we relate to God. 
 
First, Peter says believers are to be clothed in humility toward fellow believers. This clothing of humility is what is readily discernible about us just like our clothes are more observable than our feelings. Also by the fact that humility is compared to clothing, it demonstrates that it is something we must put on. It is not part of our nature and does not come easily. At salvation, Jesus gives us our new garment, and we give up our pride.  Wouldn't it be great if it were that way? A simple, easy transaction! But the rub comes in the fact that we still live in our body of flesh, a body that is constantly trying to control us. Even though Jesus gives us a new nature, it is not fully completed until He comes for us and takes us home to heaven. In the meantime, He gives us His Spirit and His strength to fight the pride/humility battle.
 
Secondly, I must humble myself under the hand of God, and in His time, He will exalt me. So when those feelings of injustice and hurt rumble in my heart, I need to confess them as sin and wait for God's timing. I must trust God that He will judge justly. How hard it is when I feel slighted or unappreciated! How hard to keep my eyes focused on Him! Instead of me harboring these hurts or worse yet acting on them, I must cast them on Him because He cares for me. Sounds simple enough! Yet after casting, I must be watchful and sober-minded looking for the roaring lion who is seeking someone to devour. If I indulge my wounded pride, for sure the lion has taken a bite out of me. Humility is my constant protection against his vicious attacks. Sadly, he doesn't attack me where I am strongest but where I am weakest, where he is most likely to get success. But it doesn't have to be that way. I do have Jesus in me, the hope of glory, and the Holy Spirit. What an arsenal! The problem comes in the fact that when my pride is wounded, I somehow get satisfaction in hanging on to those hurts. How twisted is that! The flesh is a strange but powerful entity. To combat the ravages of myself and the lion, I must pray crying out for help and rely on these verses trusting that they will transform my hurts into victories.
 
Father,
Keep me humble under Your hand, not usurping Your power but relying on You for all that I need. Help me defeat the flesh that is so strong within me. Give me Your grace for this battle!
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment