Sunday, November 11, 2012

Wisdom from Above

James 3:18
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial, and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
 
 
Who wouldn't want godly wisdom? I know I would; in fact I know that I have prayed about it many times. In light of my weaknesses,  how could I possibly possess such an array of character traits as purity, peace, gentleness, reasonableness, mercy, impartiality, sincerity and be fruit-bearing? Perhaps it is my weakness that makes me see clearly that it is only through grace! The same goes for a harvest of righteousness. Nothing that I do in myself produces this righteousness, but Christ in me does! I think that that might be the problem, that is I am trying in my own strength to make this a reality. Instead, to have this personal harvest, I need to know Christ in all His power and then realize that all this power is in me! I need to cry out, to rely on, and to use constantly the power of the indwelling Jesus. James says this harvest is very much related to peace. I know that peace with others is not just the absence of conflict, of allowing others to dictate my life, and of co-existing, but instead it is self-control in all situations, something that takes great strength, the strength that only God supplies. It is being so close to God and in such constant communication with Him that nothing upsets my apple cart. It is having my eyes constantly fixed on the eternal and not on the temporal. It means that my complete mindset and focus are heavenward causing me to view everything through the lens of Jesus Christ. What it really amounts to is changing my default! No longer do I automatically let my flesh take over, but in the face of any circumstance, I go to Him! Sounds so simple, but yet so hard! Why is my flesh so strong? Why does it constantly want to dictate my life? Certainly, I live a Rom. 7 life, one that is a constant struggle. I must struggle with all my might through the strength that He supplies. Such a mystery! How does this even work? What I know in my heart and head must become a reality in my life. I must believe it, and through this faith, put it into action. I may not know how it all works, but I know that the first step is wanting it, struggling with all my might, and straining forward at all times. My life is not a passive waiting for this harvest, but it is going for it. It is wanting it above all else. It is letting Jesus take complete control of my life.

Father,
I do want this harvest.Teach me how to struggle wholeheartedly in Your strength. Make Your words a reality in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment