Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Good Works

Titus 3:8
The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.
 
What are the good works that Paul is mentioning?
  • Be submissive to rulers and authorities-This command reaffirms the fact that God is in control of all things, even politicians. All things are His servants so I need not fear what man can do to me or how bad they can mess up the economy or destroy a nation. Anything He allows is for my good, for my holiness to prepare me for that eternal weight of glory.
  • Be obedient-First to God and then to others. My spirit should not be contrary or rebellious since I am submissive to God and He is in control of all things. 
  • Be ready for every good work. Be constantly prepared to do whatever God has for me that day. Readiness and willingness...
  • Speak evil of no one-Even if what I see and observe is not good, I shouldn't give a bad report, but instead I should look for the good in every person and seek to build them up. 
  • Be gentle-In all that I do, do it tenderly and gently so that I might share the love of Christ with them as well.
  • Show perfect courtesy to all people-This is something that is missing from our culture, and for that reason is an excellent way to show Christ to the world. Instead of anger or retribution as my response when I am wronged, I need to show courtesy and gentle concern.
What is our motivation for living in such a manner?
  • We were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to our passions and pleasures, malicious, envious, hated by others and hating in return...My life before Christ was exactly like the people who do not know Jesus. I should be understanding and kind since I have been there as well. I should love and forgive as Christ loved and forgave me when I was in that state. Also, as a new person in Christ, I should not be clinging to these behaviors any longer. Sadly, how many of these traits do I still see hindering my walk with Jesus? To whom much is given, much will be required. Since I possess new life, forgivenes, a hope for the future, eternal life, the indwelling Christ and Spirit, a relationship with God, and grace richly poured out on me, it should be a no brainer that I would respond in a godly way to whatever comes my way.
  • But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and the renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. -This is the gospel message. God in His goodness and kindness sent His Son to be our Savior. This salvation has nothing to do with our works, our gifts, or our talents, but instead is totally a result of His  mercy. In His great love, kindness, and mercy  I am washed, regenerated, and renewed by the Spirit. My entire life style and future is drastically altered. Now,  I can live a transformed life not longer enslaved by sin. I am not justified to muck around in the sin of the world, but that I might be an heir, a joint heir with Jesus Christ according to the hope of eternal life. This is my hope!
  •  
Father,
Teach me how to live like I should. Show me how to work as hard as I can but through the grace that is in me. Help me to be constantly ready for good works.
In Jesus name,
Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment