Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Faith and Works

James 2:17
So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
 
Faith stagnates without an outlet for action. Does faith have value if it is hidden in the heart and never expressed or seen in the life? No, faith is energized and grows by revealing itself in works. For example, if I see fellow believers suffering and destitute and tell them to be warmed and filled without meeting any of their needs, where is my heart? Where is my compassion? I have become only self-seeking and self-gratifying.
 
But the problem comes in realizing which comes first. Do I have faith because of my works, or do I have works that result in faith? Abraham was called to move to a land he didn't know. He had the faith to obey before he loaded up and made that trek. He also had the faith in God that, when he was to sacrifice Isaac, God could do a miracle if need be to bring the child of promise back to life. Abraham's life of faith was righteousness to him. He was known as the friend of God. How wonderful!
 
For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. Faith and works work side be side, but faith itself is a gift from God as are the works that result. It is all of God to bring glory to His name. My relationship with God is all His doing. He gave me the faith to believe and the grace and strength to have my faith be active. Resisting Him in any way is sin. When I see needs, I must meet them.
 
Father,
Give me the willingness to reach out and meet the needs of others. Thank You for my faith and for Your working in my life. Grow me in seeing and meeting the needs of others.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment