Friday, September 27, 2013

My Conduct

I Pet. 1:13
Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
 
In light of the clear Bible teaching about Christ, His death, and the glories to follow and the power resident within the indwelling Holy Spirit, I need to prepare my mind for action. Be ready! Be alert watching carefully for Satan! I need to be sober-minded not taking my Christian walk lightly! And I need to set my hope completely on the return of Christ! These are things that I must do. There is no wiggle room nor is there another option. Carelessness in these areas could be devastating.
 
While I wait for my hope to become a reality, what must I do to prepare my mind for action? The passage goes on to say, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance...but be holy in all your conduct. How can I possibly be as holy as He who called me is holy? Only through grace! I am to be an obedient child who ignores the desires of my flesh, my former ignorance. What is the problem? Why is this such a struggle? Perhaps it is because I do not think of these passions as ignorance and sin. Perhaps I see them as something pleasurable as something I want to hang on to. Or perhaps our culture has so watered down the dividing line between sacred and common that it is hard to discern what is the walk of a child of God. Sadly, that is all too true. How can I possible compare these paltry yet seductive fleshly passions to Jesus Christ and the immeasurable riches of grace? So, so foolish!
 
Another motivation to live holy is the fact that God is the judge who judges each one according to his deeds. Ouch! Peter says that I should conduct myself with fear throughout the time of my exile, knowing that I was ransomed from the futile ways inherited from my forefathers. The price of my ransom was not money or possessions, but the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. This passage reminds me of Heb. 10.  It is a fearful things to fall into the hands of the living God. Am I in any way ignoring His blood sacrifice? Am I keeping it in the forefront of my mind at all times? So many things require time to ponder and pray.
 
Father,
Lead me in Your way. Make it clear to me where I should walk. Help me dwell on You, Your Son, and Your Spirit. Attune my ears and my heart to Your Spirit's leading.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment