Wednesday, October 9, 2013

All Things That Pertain to Life and Godliness

2 Pet. 1:3
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence...
 
What a great promise! And how great that all of God's promises find their Yes in Him.  Yes, he has given me all that I need for life and godliness. But how do I access this great promise? Through the knowledge of Him who called me to His own glory and excellence. How do I gain this knowledge of God? Through His word, the living word, the Logos. In His word, He has granted me His precious and very great promises, so that through them I may become a partaker of the divine nature. Through these promises, I am transformed from corruption and mortality to godliness and immortality! Wow! But this transforming is not a magic act. It is not presto chango. It comes from making every effort on my part combined with His sufficient grace.
 
To what is my effort directed? I must make every effort to supplement faith with virtue, virtue with knowledge, knowledge with self-control, self-control with steadfastness, steadfastness with godliness, godliness with brother affection, and brotherly affection with love. This is my growing process with each one growing out of the previous one. Since faith is a gift of God's grace, it is my starting place. To it I add each one using my effort and His grace! For if these qualities are mine and are increasing, they keep me from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. This is the path to being effective and fruitful! It is not a mystery!
 
Whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. This path is no joke! If I am lacking, I cannot excuse myself. I need to examine my salvation. What Peter is saying is that this is the way all Christians progress. There is no extended infancy. Therefore brothers [or sisters] be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you shall never fall. For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. What a warning! Be sure. What do I see in my life? Am I growing through this progression? If I am growing, then I need not fear. It is a witness to my soul that heaven awaits me and the eternal kingdom is my home. I have been transferred from the domain of darkness into the kingdom of the Beloved Son. So wonderful!
 
Father,
Grow me in Your time and strength. Reveal to me where I am falling short so that I might confess and repent. I want to please You as I wait for Jesus to come and take me to the eternal kingdom.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment