Thursday, October 17, 2013

Joy

1 Jn. 1:4
And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.
 
John begins his letter be establishing his credibility. He has seen, heard, and touched the word of life--that is Jesus Christ  and in Him is eternal life. Jesus was with the Father but was made manifest to mankind and especially to John. Because of this, John proclaims the gospel of Jesus, the gospel of the cross. John states two goals: one, is experiencing fellowship with other believers, with the Father, and with Jesus Christ; and two, is experiencing complete joy. 
 
In Jn. 15, John also writes of this joy.  Jesus taught His disciples to be connected to the vine[ Him]. If they would abide in Him and He abide in them, then they would bear much fruit.  By this fruit bearing the Father would be glorified. If His followers would keep His commandments, they would abide in His love just as His obedience to the Father was in love. Here is His final statement: These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. Abiding in Jesus brings fruit bearing, obedience, and complete joy.
 
Joy is a very real part of the Christian life and walk. Just thinking about all that Jesus has done for me should give me joy immeasurable. Joy should be the result of doctrine, of practical teaching, of promises, and yes even of discipline. Jesus died on the cross for us for the joy that was set before Him. He endured so much shame and pain for me. But He never lost sight of the joy that was awaiting Him in heaven The same goes for me. No matter the pain, the difficulty, or the trial, I must never lose sight of the joy that is set before me as well.
 
Father,
Thank You for blessing my life with this great joy. Help me to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus just as He kept His eyes fixed on the joy before Him.
In His name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment