Friday, October 18, 2013

Confession

1 Jn. 1: 8-9
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
 
The message John was proclaiming was the light, God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. In Jn. 1:4-5 it says, In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. God has clearly established the boundaries. With Him, there is total light and the divine ability to overcome darkness, but with Satan there is total darkness with a complete inability to overcome the light. I would think the choice would be easy. I mean who wants to live in darkness? But somehow, Satan makes the darkness seem appealing, and human pride laps it up. 
 
However, this light is crucial to the believer. First it reveals Christ to us. Without the light we would not know or even recognize Him. Through the light we become new creatures, creatures who walk in His light. Secondly, the light reveals any hidden or blatant darkness [sin] within the believer's life. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.This is purely pride rearing its ugly but controlling head. It is truly a foolish person who sees no sin in his life! Even Paul knew this struggle with sin. So when I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. There is the struggle! And I am no exception!
 
 But the light provides us help. We can go at any time and with confidence to the throne of grace to find mercy and grace to help in time of need. What is our need? It could be when we are tempted and find ourselves succumbing to our flesh. It could be when we are listening to false teachers or counselors encouraging us to go the way of the flesh. It could be when pride has such a foothold that it is blocking the light of wisdom in our lives. Whatever it is, the light is there for us to give us the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Even though our pride fights against it, we must confess!  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Confession is of key importance! We must identify and admit the sin in our lives! If we don't, we make God a liar, and His word is not in us! Pretty heavy! No believer would set out to make God a liar or even have that thought in his or her mind, yet in reality, that is what we are doing when we don't acknowledge our sin.  Why not confess? God promises to forgive and cleanse. I need to claim this promise!
 
Father,
I confess my carelessness in confessing sin. Convict my heart mightily and grant me repentance. Grow me in Your wisdom and in the revelation of the knowledge of Christ.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment