Thursday, October 24, 2013

Practice

1 Jn. 3:9-10
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.
 
The sin issue is pretty cut and dried. There is no gray ground of indecision. Those born of God do not make a practice of sinning! Jesus came to take away sin, if we continue in sin, it defeats what He did on the cross. He died so that I might live in new life, not a life plagued by sin. If someone says that it is ok to practice a lifestyle of sin, they are deceiving false teachers. Whoever makes a practice of sin is of the Devil, and whoever practices righteousness is of God. The operative word here is practice. Just as I am not going to be 100% righteous so I will not be 100% free of sin. But my attitude toward each of these states must be drastically different. I must abhor sin, confessing and repenting immediately. As I practice righteousness, there will be times that I will fall. But God is faithful and just to forgive as long as I confess.
 
It was the Father's great love for me that made this new life possible, that I could be called a child of God. At this time I am in transition not fully seeing what I will be. But when Jesus comes for me, than I will see Him as He is, and I will be known fully as well. Everyone who hopes in Him purifies Himself as He is pure. Jesus is my hope and the way for me to be purified, free from slavery to sin. He is my strength to live as I should, to live a life that is free from the practice of sin and is committed to the practice of righteousness.
 
Father,
Give me Your strength and grace to live as Your word teaches. Help me break the sins that still bind me. Give me a heart that yearns for You constantly and one that is deeply grieved by my sin.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment