Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Gentleness and Respect

1 Pet. 3:15
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you: yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.
 
How important are gentleness and respect! My attitude must reflect Christ no matter who I am talking to, no matter if I am being verbally or physically attacked, no matter if my flesh cries out for anger and disrespect. When I do this in His strength and grace, then I am honoring Christ the Lord as holy. He must be first and foremost in my life. He must shape all my actions, emotions, body language, attitudes, and conversations. I think this is my problem. When I forget who I am living for, then at that moment, my flesh asserts itself and takes control. Instead, I have to live in the reality that Christ and the Spirit of God are living in me. And if I suffer, so what? It is better to suffer for doing right than for doing wrong. What kind of a reflection on Christ is suffering for doing wrong [even in the eyes of the world]? None whatsoever! But when I do right, and suffer, this brings honor to Christ. Then I am following in the steps of Christ who suffered for me.
 
How do I become gentle and respectful? First, I know that these qualities are the fruit of the Spirit and is grown in my life by the indwelling Spirit. But how? The more that I am in the word, the more it transforms me from the inside out. Secondly, I know that God did not give me a spirit of fear but of power and love and self-control. Not only that but He lavishes grace upon me day after day. I have so many gifts from the Father. Perhaps the problem is in me. I don't stop to use the gifts and to keep constant communion with Him; instead I often plow ahead. I know that the promises of God are Yes in Him, but are they yes in me? Do I really believe them?
 
Father,
I confess there must be some hidden unbelief in me, something fleshly that strives to take control.. Cleanse my soul. Give me the faith to claim Your promises and live for You. Open my eyes to see the condition of my soul and the opportunities You have for me.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment