Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Mighty Hand of God

1 Pet. 5: 6
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you,
 
It seems only logical to humble myself when I think of the mighty hand of God. Really, how could I think any other way when I view humanity (and myself) and then view God?  Strangely enough,  man thinks that he knows best (as do I so very often) and can run his life better than the Creator of the universe, the one who formed his days before there were any of them. It is purely foolishness! My only response to God must be to fall on my face in humility before Him acknowledging His greatness.
 
Peter repeats this same subject again where he tells us to clothe ourselves with humility toward one another, for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Here he addresses our horizontal relationships. Even though we might feel we are superior in some way to other people, it is of no consequence. I still must clothe myself with humility. It is to be my garment, the very thing that people see first. One of my identifying marks. Why? (Now his instruction goes vertical.) Because God opposes the proud but gives the humble grace. I know that I can't live without grace. It is the means of my salvation and my sanctification. So I must be humble if I want His grace! I can not imagine intentionally going against God's commands. If He wants me humble, that is what I must do. Certainly there will be times when I am not, and through the Holy Spirit, I will see those times of  sin. I know that His Spirit will lead me to confession and grant me repentance if I am listening and seeking His will. And there is the crux of he problem! Many times I am not listening especially when I am in the throes of pride. No wonder Peter had to repeat his teaching! Certainly, this is a lesson that bears repeating and one that should be a matter of constant prayer.
 
Father,
Reveal to me when pride has taken over and has blocked my ears and eyes to Your Spirit's leading. In that moment of willful flesh, send Your Spirit to open my ears and eyes to the truth about myself so that I might obey You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment