Thursday, June 12, 2014

I Purpose God Works

Phil. 2:13
...for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

In v. 12 Paul told the Philippians to work out their own salvation with fear and trembling, and yet in v. 13 he said that God would work in believers. Even though the ideas seem to be contradictory, they are both true. At the same time that believers work, God works. How is this possible? It is all through His grace. Once saved, Christians are filled with the Spirit and given more grace, enough to use every day, every moment. In fact, grace is the sufficiency of the believer. Through the Spirit and God's grace, believers work! Still I think it's easier to understand in the head than to live it on a daily basis.   

In the following verses, Paul gives a command. Do all things without grumbling or questioning so that believers might shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life. Do we just purpose never to grumble or question? I think this situation is a one on one. I purpose and God works because it is only through His Spirit and His grace that I can purpose at all. Then if I were to fail, I shouldn't beat myself up. Instead I should pray and confess it as sin. 

Paul addressed this grumbling in 1 Cor. 10 where he referred to the Israelites on their wilderness walk. All Israel drank and ate the same spiritual food for they drank from the rock [Christ]. Nevertheless with most of them God was not pleased...Why? First, Paul told how their actions and attitudes were and are examples for believers to follow. We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents, nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer.  Here is the answer! Grumbling is sin! Those who grumbled experienced the judgment of God in the most horrific way. Later in this passage God promised to help believers in this issue. No temptation has taken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. I purpose, and God works. I think that without my purposing, there would be nothing for God to work with. My task is simple to purpose, to obey, and to trust in the promise of God. I can stand in His grace and strength but I need to be watching and praying. Finally, do not grumble or question. 

Father,
This attitude is certainly common to all men and women, but I see today how serious it is. I confess my own grumbling.  Let Your grace flow freely through me so that my heart is clean before You. Give me grace to stand, to be Your light in this world. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment