Friday, June 13, 2014

Two Examples

Phil. 2:19
I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you.

Paul sent two men to the Philippians so that he could hear of their progress in the Lord. The first man, Timothy, came with high recommendations. Paul stated that he would be genuinely concerned for their welfare. This is truly an amazing trait since most other men care more for their own interests rather than those of Jesus Christ. Such humility comes only with having the mind of Christ. [2:5] And secondly, he had proven worth as a son with a father. Timothy had been trained by Paul himself. His faith had proved unwavering.These are 2 very important qualities that should be in all believers. We should be genuinely concerned for other believers [Phil. 2:3-4] and our faith should stand the test of time. 
Phil. 2:25
I have thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, and your messenger and minister to my need.

Paul also sent Epaphroditus with Timothy because earlier the Philippians had sent Epaphroditus to Paul to minister to him. During his ministering to Paul he became very ill nearly dying. But God spared his life which was a mercy not only to Paul but also to Epaphroditus. Paul named him a brother [in the Lord], a fellow worker [not an observer, but one who jumps into the fray], a fellow soldier [he stood with Paul in his persecution], and a messenger [from the Philippians]. How wonderful it is to see what it means to serve Christ and to see his relationship with other believers. He was no spectator but instead met the need when he saw it. This man's life show us clearly what it means to come alongside another believer, what it means to minister to another, and what it means to serve Christ. Paul said that he would be all things to all people so that they might know Christ. It seems as if this was true in Epaphroditus' case. Whatever the need he was willing to fill it and that even to the point of illness and death. But Paul wanted to encourage the Philippians and give them cause for rejoicing when he sent Epaphroditus to them.  They were encouraged to receive him in the Lord and honor him because he nearly gave his life for the work of the ministry. 

Two great examples of what it means to be serving Christ. I must ask myself am I more concerned for the needs of others than my own? Do I have proven worth? Am I willing to come alongside other believers in persecution or in whatever they need?

Father, 
Give me a heart for my fellow believers. Make me others-centered as opposed to thinking of myself. Help me to see through life to the spiritual opportunities that You have for me there. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment