Sunday, June 1, 2014

Mature Manhood

Eph. 4:15
Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into Him who is the head, into Christ. 

What a powerful passage! Beginning at verse 1, I read that I should walk worthy of my calling. How? First I know that my walking can only be empowered by grace and granted by God. When my desire and God's great power come head to head, then I can walk with humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love.Eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace. Certainly these traits underscore the fact that my walk can only be through His power and grace because this side of heaven means these traits are not my natural response to people. Sad to say my life parallels Rom. 7 where Paul said that he had the desire to do right but not the ability to carry it out. So he found it to be a law that when he wanted to do right, evil was close at hand.  How could Paul write those words? As I read about his life, I can't see this struggle at all. It makes me realize how much I need His grace and strength. 

Christ gifted believers according to the measure of His grace, but the gifts were not uniform in nature or position. He gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists and the pastors and teacher. Why did we need all this leadership? To equip the saints for the work of the ministry and for building up the body of Christ. Until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ. What unbelievable words! Through Christ I can grow to maturity in Him, to His fullness. What would that even be like? How would it manifest itself? I don't have to know, I just have to trust that He will work this out in me. I just have to give Him my heart without reservation and trust Him to work it out as He will.  

All of this is so that I will no longer be a child who is unsure about what is truth and what is false. Christ wants me to grow up into Him because He is my head. I am part of His body, a body that is constantly being built up. And then when all is right, and each part of the body is functioning as it should, the body will grow and build itself up in love. What a glorious plan for my life!

Father,
It is truly amazing what You plan to do in my life. Grant me Your grace and strength so that I might walk as You would have me. Grow me into maturity into the fullness of Christ. Reveal to me any reservations that I might have so that I can confess and repent. I am Yours and You are mine. Thank You so much!
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment