Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Speech

Eph. 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. 

Paul gave 3 qualifiers for the talk of a believer. First my speech should not be corrupting. When I think of something that is corrupting, it brings to mind very evil speech. And certainly that is true, but I also think it means speech that is socially acceptable but still sinful as in the case of causing a brother to stumble, careless words [speaking without thinking], gossip, and grumbling. I wonder if I had something that could play back my speech over a specific time period [maybe a month], what would I hear? Probably not a pretty picture. How insidious are the sins of speech, sneaking in and catching believers unaware. I need to remember to let my yes be yes and my no no. I need to think about what I say before it floods out of my mouth.

Secondly, my speech must be good for building up.  How many times are my words just nothingness, something to fill the silence? As I have thought about this, I have tried to listen and not talk in conversations [more than one on one], and it has shown me that the conversations proceeded adequately without me. It has made me reevaluate my words. I know that I should be edifying in what I said so I will have to keep that in the forefront of my mind. No doubt my words would be more valuable if I examined their nature to see if building up was foremost. 

Thirdly, my words should give grace to those listening. Now that is a big order! If I am to share the grace of God in word, then my words should be edifying as well.  Grace-words are words of forgiveness, understanding, and love. In fact, my words must be my ministry! So much damage is done by a thoughtless word, and even more damage is done by a mean word. What do my words reveal about me? Is my love for Jesus shining through?

Father,
Reveal to me the effects of my words. Teach me to speak so that I bring honor to You. I desperately need compassion and love to flow from my mouth. Fill me with grace so that this is a reality in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment