Monday, June 9, 2014

Prayer

Phil. 1:9-11

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment,  so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

I have prayed this prayer many times before today because of the ideas it expresses, ideas that are key elements for growth in Christ. .But as I was reading this passage again this morning, I thought of the love that preceded the prayer. Paul's heart was one of thankfulness for these believers. When he prayed, he always thanked God for them because their hearts and his heart were united for the sake of the gospel. He was sure that God who began this work in them would complete it. He knew the surety of their salvation. Again he expressed his love by saying that they were in his heart because they were  partakers of the same gospel. To me this speaks of the love that all believers should have for one another, a love so intense that they would pray constantly for one another's spiritual growth. Then finally he tells them he yearns for them with the affection of Jesus Christ. How strong is that! Sadly, many times believers including me, have told someone that they would pray for them and then have totally forgotten to pray. Perhaps this is the reason why. Are they really in my heart? Do I thank God for them whenever I pray? Do I yearn for them with the affection of Christ? What a prayer life Paul must have had. Mine is puny to the max in comparison. But my heart is stirred this morning by Paul's example and by the great words of this prayer, a prayer that I would want to be true in my life and in the life of all the believers that I know.

Father,
Through Your grace help me to love other believers. Open my eyes to see the moments where I could spread Your love to others. Lord, alter my priorities so that I may pray diligently for others.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment