Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Yes and No

Eph. 5:19-20
...addressing one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

In Eph. 5:1-21 Paul gave positive commands closely followed by negative counterparts. These commands are essential if the believer is to be what he should be.
  • Be imitators of God- Why? It is amazing to me that I am His beloved child, and that He thinks I can be His imitator. He knows what is possible through Him. I think I am often hampered by my own fearful flesh, afraid to step any farther.
  • Walk in love-The example is Christ. His love was self-sacrificial costing Him His life.Is my love like His? How sacrificially do I love anyone?
  • Thanksgiving- in all situations no matter how difficult or tempting. Obviously, if thanksgiving replaced negative sinful behaviors, there would be a huge difference in my life.  [sexual immorality, impurity, covetousness, filthiness, foolish talk, crude joking] For the final nail on the coffin, Paul stressed again that  anyone involved in sexual immorality, impurity, or covetousness will NOT inherit the kingdom of Christ and God. Strong Words!
  • Do not become partners with those who walk in darkness. [They give only empty words that will  receive the wrath of God]. 
  • Walk as children of light-that is walking in all that is good, right, and true. Only through Grace!
  • Try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.-This sounds definitely easier than it is to do it. [Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness.] I think this must come from immersion in the word. 
  • Look carefully how you walk.-in wisdom
  • Make the best use of the time-because the days are evil
  • Understand what the will of the Lord is-and in this passage Paul has made many things abundantly clear.
  • Be filled with the Spirit-do not get drunk with wine.
  • Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Even if this were all the word of God that I had, and if I obeyed just these commands, my life would be drastically changed. God's will is clearly stated here. Yet to walk in love and in light are still hard to understand. How much of the world do I participate in? What does it mean to be in the world but not of the world? Inclusion vs. Separation? Also how do I make the best use of my time? I am thinking being filled with the Spirit is the key to so much of the areas that are not clearly stated. 

Father,
Thank You for the passages that make Your will clearly understood. Grow me more each day so that I can be an imitator of You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment