Saturday, June 14, 2014

Rubbish

Phil. 3:8
Indeed I count everything as loss because of he surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

Paul threw out some commands in a 'finally' sort of way. He began with a positive and sandwiched in some negatives only to be followed by a positive.  Rejoice in the Lord. Look out for evildoers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh. For we are the circumcision , who worship by the Spirit of God and give glory in the flesh and put no confidence in the flesh...

He went on to show the foolishness of having confidence in the flesh. He regaled them with his list of fleshly achievements: circumcised on 8th day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee, ;as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to unrighteousness under the law, blameless. Quite impressive! I wonder how many Jews could have such a resume. But what was Paul's attitude about these accomplishments? Whatever he had gained in his life, he now counted it as loss for the sake of Christ. Christ had turned his world upside down. His priorities were vastly different. He lived to preach only Christ and Him crucified. Then he restated it for emphasis. Indeed I count everything as loss because of he surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. Now he has gone from accomplishments to all things! For the sake of Christ, he was willing to lose all things and count them as rubbish. Rubbish! He never looked back longingly at what he used to have and used to be. He only wanted to be found in Jesus covered in His righteousness, a righteousness that comes from faith and not works [law]. What a commitment! 

What is my attitude toward accomplishments and all things in life? Do I consider everything rubbish or even paling in comparison to Jesus? I am seeing how my disease process has taught me over and over again that I cannot have confidence in the flesh. I must trust Jesus. Still in all practicality I am not sure that I would call life rubbish. I mean if I did my life would be ordered somewhat differently?

Father,
These verses have cut close to my heart today. I confess I still value some things the world offers. I still want people to notice if I have done something worthy of praise. But Lord, I do want to live only for you. Strengthen me so that I might begin to see the rubbish of it all.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment