Friday, June 27, 2014

Walk and Talk

Col 4:5-6
Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Walking and talking sound so simple, activities that we have done since infancy, yet once saved they have a whole new meaning. Instead of walking haphazardly or selfishly, we now walk in wisdom. Because of our new life in Christ, we must walk wisely making the best use of out time. Even when I think of the word wisdom, I realize that this is humanly impossible for me. Wisdom can only come from God, from a new life [new creation] with a new mind that is renewed by the Spirit of God. God calls for me to be a living sacrifice which is my spiritual worship. Nowhere does it say this is optional. I know that the best use of time implies that time is short and must be considered valuable. No frittering! Instead I need to be purposeful, looking for opportunities to share Jesus. 

Not only does my time need to honor God but so does my speech. It must always be gracious, seasoned with salt so I may know how to answer every man. As I think of this, 1 Pet. 4 comes to mind so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God. It is pastime for me to do what the Gentiles do. Now I must speak of my new life. Since I am saved by grace, it is logical that my speech would be gracious. I think this would mean full of grace. The grace of God fills me and overflows  to others. I can't speak out of selfishness, frustrated because I didn't get my way. My way must become His way. But what does it mean to be seasoned with salt? Mt. 5:13 says we are to be the salt of the earth. Again this is a new life, He has filled me with grace and seasoned me with salt, His salt. Salt normally can heal, improve taste, or preserve life. Do I speak accordingly? Are my words healing to others who are hurting? Do my words improve or add to the conversation? Am I actively seeking opportunities to share Christ in whatever I say? To preserve life, I must share Jesus because He is life. Is Jesus evident in my life that my walk and talk are vitally different?

Father,
I want to walk in wisdom and speak graciously. Teach me how to do this. I confess I have failed so many times, but I ask You to help me again .
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment