Monday, June 16, 2014

No Worry

Phil. 4:6-7
 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

The antidote for worry is prayer. But how many times does a worried person turn to God in prayer? It sounds so simple, yet so hard to do. In everything...nothing is to big or too small even though the human response is to try and figure a way out. Somehow we think our personal strength and ingenuity is better than talking with the God of the universe, the God who put in place all situations, circumstances, and people. He is the source of it all! 

With thanksgiving...Coming to God with a thankful heart cancels out the worry. Can a person be thankful and worry at the same time? Probably not. If I am truly thankful for everything that comes into my life, then I can't worry about the 'everything.' I must live in the reality that God has put all things in my life for His purpose and pleasure, and rest in the fact that all things in my life are for my good. The only thing I can do is trust Him and not let worry have a foothold. 

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. How wonderful! If I pray and trust, then peace will flood my life. Peace and worry can not in the same space. Peace cancels worry! But how? By guarding my heart and mind through Jesus Christ. It is such amazing grace that through Christ I can have this peace every moment! It is foolish Christians who allows worry to rule in their life. In essence they are rejecting the peace of God. God is offering me a choice---worry or peace. Hmmm...which one would I choose? It should be a no-brainer, but human flesh is such a powerful opponent, one that magnifies the 'everything' and inspires worry. I must claim these verses constantly so that I can live in the peace of God. 

Father,
Thank You for Your peace and the power of prayer. I want to have a thankful heart, Lord, but I must confess that I don't always have one. Give me Your grace and strength to claim these verses continually. 
In Him,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment