Thursday, November 3, 2011

Die to Live

Lk. 12 :24-26
"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him."

Jesus answered His disciples' question by saying that His hour had come, His hour to be glorified. Strange to human understanding, that glorification meant His death. He went on to explain that a grain of wheat doesn't bear fruit unless it dies, and likewise, His life would bear tremendous fruit by His death, fruit that involved the life of His followers. Like Jesus, His followers must follow Him even in death. Perhaps, not physical death, although some may lose their lives for Him, but all His disciples must hate their life in this world to live eternally. If anyone desires to love and serve Him, then they must follow Him completely including death to this life.
 
 Romans clarifies this death issue. For if we have been united with Him in a death like His, we shall certainly be united with Him in a resurrection like His. We know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin. Like Jesus died in the flesh taking my sin, I must die to my old self. Consequently, I can't let sin reign in my body; I can't present my members as instruments to sin; Instead, I must present myself to God and my members as instruments of righteousness. Do I live like this? If this great transaction has been accomplished, why do I still allow myself to pander after the world? Am I taking up my cross daily and following Him?
 
It is truly amazing that God sees me through the blood of Christ, and through that blood, I am dead to sin. The struggle is over! The victory is completed! But yet practically, there is Rom. 7. In my spirit I delight in God, but my flesh wages war with my spirit. For this battle, I need so much grace!
 
Father,
Give me Your strength to carry my cross and to follow Jesus. Let Your grace be my power and sufficiency in dying to sin practically and daily and in living in this new life. Transform my heart so that I am united to fear Your name.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment