Thursday, November 10, 2011

Love One Another

Jn. 13:34-35
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

The Passover meal was over, and Jesus' time was nearing. Perhaps with sadness, Jesus spoke to His disciples calling them Little Children . With the future in mind, He told them they would be separated soon. He would not be with them, and they could not go where He was going. But before all these events would come to pass, He gave them a new commandment saying,  just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. Love would be the identification mark of His followers and would make Him known to the world. What amazing love! What did the disciples think when He said this? I wonder if they understood the self-sacrificial quality of this love since Jesus had not yet gone to the cross. The amazing scope of His love would drastically change their lives, and so much so, that they would love others in a similar way as He did. The essence of His love was the sacrifice, the giving of His all even to the point of death. What is my love for others? Does it reflect Jesus' sacrifice?

Father,
Teach me to love like You loved. Help me to be a disciple who reflects You to the world.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment