Sunday, November 27, 2011

Final Instructions

I Thess. 5:17
Pray Without Ceasing

I know that when I leave for a time, I leave my husband with final instructions usually in list format: don't forget to take the garbage out, feed the dog, and at this time of year, put up the Christmas lights-- definitely things of minimal importance but things that need to be done to keep the house running smoothly. Similarly, in the book of I Thess. Paul is giving his final instructions as well, final instructions that keep the body of Christ functioning smoothly. His instructions include:
  • respect those who labor in the body
  • be at peace in the body
  • admonish the idle
  • encourage the fainthearted
  • help the weak
  • be patient with all
  • do not repay evil for evil
  • do good to each other
  • pray without thinking
  • rejoice always
  • be thankful in all circumstances
  • don't quench the Spirit
  • test everything
  • hold fast to what is good
  • abstain from every form of evil 
As I read this list, I ask myself if these spiritual essentials are my priority.  As I live and work each day, am I thinking about these things more or less than the inconsequentials that seem to consume my daily routine? Should I make a list of these items and carry them with me or refer to them as I go through the day? Do I make them a matter of prayer asking God to give me the grace to obey?

Father,
Teach me to make these final instructions my daily instructions. Give me Your grace to live as I should. Change my heart and mind to mold to your desires so that I might glorify You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment