Saturday, November 12, 2011

Silence

Mt. 27:14
"But he gave him no answer, not even to a single charge, so that the governor was greatly amazed."

How many times when I am falsely accused or have my pride wounded do I spout off? Way more than I would like to admit, but here in a life and death situation, Jesus responded with silence. Pilate asked Him one question: Are you the king of the Jews? His reply, You have said so. But after this when he was accused by the chief priests and elders, He answered not a word. Pilate said, Do you not hear how many things they testify against you? But Jesus did not answer. Pilate was amazed and could not understand why Jesus would not defend Himself. Why wouldn't He answer?
 
Perhaps He restrained Himself to fulfill prophecy, but it was also to show His disciples how to live, how to handle the persecution that was to come. In the Beatitudes Jesus had given a blessing to the meek and those who would be persecuted for righteousness' sake. Here Jesus is showing His followers exactly what that looks like. He is showing His disciples how to live, how to answer His call. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in His steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in His mouth. When He was reviled, He did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but continued entrusting Himself to Him who judges justly. How hard it is to keep silent! How much strength it takes to entrust the negative things, the unjust comments and actions to God! But to live like Jesus taught in the Beatitudes, disciples must follow His example. Without deceit, I must stay silent not answering back and not defending myself. This is truly living like I believe practically that God is sovereign over every detail of my life!
 
Father,
Give me Your strength and grace to follow in Jesus' footsteps. Help me to trust You and Your sovereign will  for my life. Teach me to be meek and merciful. Teach me how to have Your wisdom to handle life's situation.
In Jesus name,
Amen


Jesus was meek. He demonstrated the difficulty and the great effect on others that meekness has.

No comments:

Post a Comment