Saturday, July 21, 2012

Discipline

I Cor. 9:27
But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Paul compared the Christian life to a race where all the runners run but only one gets the prize. His admonition was to run to obtain the prize. In order to do that I must train just like an athlete, that is having self-control in all things. An athlete limits himself to activities, food, and drink. He is very careful what he puts into his body because it will affect his body's output. His life is focused around his one and only goal: winning the prize. Not only that but he trains. In the place of the normal, easier activities of life, he puts intense training always building his strength and skill. The same goes for my life. I limit what I do and think about because it affects my mind and my spirit. It dulls my sensitivity to God and takes my time away from God. I must also train, spend time doing the things that will build me up in spirit and soul. Primarily, those activities would be prayer, Bible study and memorization, meditation, fellowship, godly music, listening to sermons and great preachers, and even gathering together with my local body. Those are the things that must fill my life. Anything that draws me closer to God and grows me in Christ must be part of my life-style. The things that I might not do any longer are not necessarily bad things, but they are things that don't necessarily help me run the race to win the prize. My prize is not a perishable ribbon, medal, or even money, but an imperishable crown, one that I will receive when Jesus calls me home with Him.

Father,
Give me Your grace and strength to run this race. Help me endure and keep my eyes focused on Jesus the author and finisher of my faith. Keep me connected to You at all times so that I hear Your voice and Your direction.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment