Sunday, July 22, 2012

Examples for Us

I Cor. 10:6
Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did.

The Israelites were examples for believers in Paul's day and in our day. First, they were idolaters, sitting down to eat, drink, and then rising up to play.[Sounds remarkably like America!] Then they indulged in sexual immorality. [Hit the mark again!] As if those were not enough, they put Christ to the test and grumbled. [Ouch!] What were their consequences? Many died on the spot destroyed by the Destroyer while others were denied entrance to the promised land. So Paul admonished the people inn light of these tragic historical events, he warned them to take heed lest they fall. The same goes for me or any believer today. Take heed! Wake up! Look at your life! Paul ends with a great promise that I can cling to when temptations come my way. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. There is the key. Temptations will come, but what will I do when they are hunting me down? I will pray and ask for that way of escape! Therefore I will flee idolatry, immorality, putting Christ to the test, and grumbling!

Father,
Thank you for this great promise. Give me Your wisdom and strength to call out and ask You to open my eyes to the escape that I need.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment