Monday, July 2, 2012

Giving

Mk. 12:44
For they contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.

Jesus sat down opposite the treasury watching people give. There He saw many rich people putting in large sums of money, but a poor widow came and put in just a penny. Jesus seized this incident as an opportunity to teach his disciples an important principle, that is giving out of pverty as opposed to giving our of abundance. Obviously, his view of  giving was drastically different from the world's view. As the world would see it, having rich men giving large sums would be the way to go simply because the amount of money would be great. Much could be accomplished! But Jesus didn't value the outward action as much as he valued the heart response. Seeing the poor widow's heart, made her gift all the more precious. She was alone, no husband and sadly lacking in resources. According to the world's estimation, she should guard what she had or go on some form of assistance, but that was not her modus operandi. She gave her penny! Doesn't sound like much, but it was her all! Certainly, the rich had given vast sums, but only from their surplus. It did not impact their standard of living at all. The widow gave out of her poverty; in fact, she gave what was necessary for her survival. What a heart! Who really gives out of their poverty? As I remember my poverty years, I know I clung desperately to the little resources I had. My heart was not so much into giving. Sadly, I missed the joy that this widow had by her giving. What a lesson! God delights in the heart that is ready and willing to give its all!

Father,
Give me a giving heart. Help me not to cling to what You have blessed me with, but to use it as You would lead me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment