Friday, July 20, 2012

Love Builds Up

I Cor. 8:13
Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. Even though we know that an idol has no real existence, and that there is only one True God, this knowledge does not give us unlimited freedom (even though the food offered to idols would be of no consequence). It is food offered to a non-entity! However, not all possess this knowledge. To some eating food offered to idols is horrible, and is something to be avoided at all costs! And even more than that, if they saw another brother eating this same food, it would destroy them. Even though one brother's conscience is weak, and the other's conscience is not, an act of love reconciles the two. Paul says that sinning against a brother and wounding their conscience when it is weak is the same as sinning against Christ. How strong and how limiting! The conclusion is: if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. The law of love dictates our care and concern for our fellow brothers of Christ is of paramount importance even to the point of limiting our actions and choices. In humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Father,
Help me to think of others first and to love as You loved above all else. Make all my choices honoring to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment