Friday, July 13, 2012

The Spirit

I Cor. 2:11-12
For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.

So preaching, teaching, and sharing the gospel are not given or received in words of wisdom of this world, but the are given and received in words taught by the Spirit. We don't need to change the message to make it more palatable to the world. Instead we need to rely on the Spirit of God to empower and teach the meaning of the words. In fact, the natural person finds the things of the Spirit folly, and so consequently, he refuses to accept them. But when the Spirit draws a person to the Father, He makes the words clear, understandable, and powerful.

For the believer, the Spirit is resident within. He is there to teach and guide us every moment of the day or night. Not only that but Jesus Christ is resident within us as well. He is there to give us His mind. Certainly, we can understand the things freely given us by God. What resources we have! So what is my recourse when I am confused or uncertain? I need merely to pray and ask the Spirit to enlighten my understanding so that I can understand the things that God desires me not only to understand but to possess, to make my own and to transform my life.

Father,
Thank You for changing my mind and my Spirit. Thank You for giving me Your Spirit and Your Son. Teach me constantly the things that You have freely given me to understand.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment