Friday, December 14, 2012

Christ in Me, the Hope of Glory

Col. 1:27
To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
 
I was once alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds until Jesus reconciled me  by His coming to earth, taking on a human body, suffering and dying that He might present me holy and blameless and above reproach before the Father. Even though my holiness and purity are still a work in progress, He has covered me in His blood and His righteousness so that when the Father looks at me He sees the righteous of the Son. All this is mine if indeed I continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel. Here once again is the mystery of my working but through the grace of God. How this process works is a mystery in itself, but the gift of faith allows me to trust the Word, the Savior, the Redeemer, and the Father.
 
Paul's ministry was to make the Word of God fully known, not just to the Colossians or the people of His time period, but to me and all those that follow until the day of His return. He was to reveal a mystery that had been hidden for ages and generations but was then revealed to the saints. God had chosen to make known to them [and that includes me] how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory, of this mystery, that is Christ in me, the hope of glory. How glorious is this! All the fullness of God is in Christ, and Christ is in me! But how do I live practically in light of this knowledge? Paul himself said that he toiled, struggling with all his energy that He powerfully works in me. There it is again! It is the mysterious miracle of Christ in me and me working and struggling. My effort can't be in my own strength because then it would bring glory to me and not to God; so instead I work as hard as I can but in His powerful strength. But how to make this a reality?
 
Paul's ministry was to proclaim Jesus by warning and teaching with all wisdom so that he could present believers mature in Christ. It was for this that he struggled with all his energy that Christ powerfully worked in Him. My maturity in Christ speaks of my identification with Him, the transformation of my mind, choices, attitudes, heart, etc. Through Him I will be a new creation and all because of His grace powerfully working in me. Not a me that sits passively by waiting for this transformation, but a me that  works and toils. I must be committed, dedicated, singular in purpose, living in the reality of Christ in me. So how can I work and toil? Perhaps just remembering the phrase, Christ in me, praying it, thinking it, calling it out in the situations that often pull me down. I would also be soaking in the Word letting its great promises control my life while praying, having open communication with the Father. I must be at His disposal to be used as He desires. That means my plans may have to be tabled so that I could do the work of the Father.
 
Father,
Teach me how live out practically Christ in me. Show me the way to work and toil but still be through the energy that You work in me. Help me live in the light of this great mystery.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment