Thursday, December 6, 2012

Even to Old Age

Is. 46:4
Even to your old age I am He, and in gray hairs I will carry you, I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.
 
In chapter 45, Isaiah clearly stated that God was, is, and always will be sovereign in blessing and in calamity. In ch. 46 God spoke directly to Jacob (Israel) saying, Listen to me...you who have been borne by me from before your birth, carried from the womb; Even to your old age I am He, and in gray hairs I will carry you, I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save. Israel was God's chosen nation and people, and their lives were intricately woven with His. Since I am a chosen one as well, and since God knitted me together in my mother's womb...and saw my unformed substance; and in God's book...the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them were written. Yes, I am one whose life is intricately woven with God. What He has said to Israel, He says to me. What an assurance that He is there with me in old age and in gray hair! Since He made me, He will bear, carry, and save me! Even if my culture deems old age a time of uselessness, God does not. I am as precious to Him today as I was before the foundation of the world. How exciting! What an unbelievable truth! My days down to the smallest detail are God ordained. How can I complain and even rebel at what He has chosen for me?
 
God continued saying,  Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind...remember the former things of old...I am God, and there is no other, I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose...I have spoken and I will bring it to pass, I have purposed, and I will do it. How powerful! The sovereign God of the universe who put all things in their place, has spoken to me. He has given me favor with Him, yet it is up to me to obey, listen, and remember. I must know above all else that His word will stand, and His purpose will be carried out. I must check my heart so He can not say of me, Listen to me, you stubborn of heart, and you who are far from righteousness. How sad to be chosen of God and still be far from righteousess. My righteousness dwells within me in the person and work of Jesus. Eph. 6 reinforces these same thoughts. Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. He has given me all I need to stand, the indwelling Son, the Holy Spirit, the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, and the helmet of salvation.  I must put it on and put off my flesh going forward in the power that only He gives!
 
Father,
I know You are sovereign and what You have said and purposed will be. Give me Your grace so that I might have a soft heart, a broken and a contrite spirit before You. Be in my mind. Tune up my ears so that I might hear all the leading and prompting of the Spirit.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment