Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sovereign God

Is. 45:9-10
Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, 'What are you making?' or 'Your work has no handles?' Woe to him who says to a father, 'What are you begetting? or to a woman, "With what are you in labor?'
 
God declared emphatically that He is sovereign over all, even heathen nations and kings, specifically Cyrus. I call you by your name, I name you, though you do not know me. It matters not whether the king or the nation knows God, because sovereignty is from the top down, God to man. Not only does He know them by name, but He uses them for His purposes.
 
I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no god. I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is no other. What a great statement! It didn't change any part of God's sovereign nature or power that Cyrus and his nation worshipped false gods. God's declaration soundly developed this unchanging truth. He is the only God! Just because people deny His existence  doesn't alter or diminish God, His purposes, or His truth. Even though Cyrus does not acknowledge God, He is equipped by God to do His bidding and to accomplish His purpose, that people may know and see His great power.
 
I form the light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things. God is creator of all, and as Creator and sovereign, He makes well-being (blessings) and calamity (trials, tribulation, sickness, disease, plague, etc). God does it all! How confusing to some people! Many say, How can a loving God do such things? Yes, He is a loving God but also a just God! His purposes operate through all time not just the speck of time that a person lives. But for the believer, He says that all things He does are for his or her good. Even the negative will have as its conclusion a positive result.
 
 
Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, 'What are you making?' or 'Your work has no handles?' Woe to him who says to a father, 'What are you begetting? or to a woman, "With what are you in labor?' It is not for humanity to strive against God or to question what He has done, is doing, or will do. The conclusion to all of this is; There is no other god besides me, a righteous God, and a Savior; there is no besides me. Even though Israel was His chosen people, He sent calamity into their lives because they whored after the idols of heathen nations. He used those very heathen nations to capture and enslave them. This is the sovereign God that I love and worship. I must look carefully at my life. Am I pursuing idols of my world? Am I valuing worldly things above Him?
 
Father,
You are so powerful! Shape my vision so that I see Your hand in all the circumstances of my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment