Sunday, December 9, 2012

Unity

Phil. 2:2
Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.
 
Paul wanted the believers to be unified. Not only did he state that desire, but he also explained why they should be unified.
  • If there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Paul is not saying that these things are doubtful, but the 'if' clause has the meaning of  'since'. Since believers do possess encouragement in Christ, comfort from love, participation in the Spirit, affection, and sympathy, they should have the same mind and love. They should be of one mind. In Christ, I have unlimited grace and strength to make all this a reality, and through grace, the indwelling Christ and Holy Spirit, I can be at one with other believers because the same Christ and Spirit who indwell me indwells them.
  • Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Rivalry and conceit pit one person against another causing the flesh to rise up and take control, to desire mastery and control over another. The answer is humility and counting the needs and wants of another more important than my own. How this violates what my flesh wants! But this is the way that Christ lived and since He lives within me, I have His grace and power to live like He did. Through Him I can quell my flesh and live for others.
  • Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. How hard is this! Since people are inherently selfish, they guard and make time for their own interests sometimes to the exclusion of all else. Again, this calls for living like Christ, following in His footsteps. He looked to the interests of others to the degree that He gave up His own life. However, this verse does exclude my own interests, but it wants me to make room for others. Perhaps even put my interests last.
  • Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus. The key to this whole teaching is having the mind of Christ. Sadly, it is there for believers to possess, but how many of them do? I have so much in Christ, but often it is head knowledge and not a reality in my daily life. How do I develop this in my heart and life? Specifically, when Christ came to earth even though He was God he did not grasp that equality. [How often is fairness touted? How often do people want the playing field of life leveled?]  He willingly gave up what was His because of who He was, making Himself nothing, even a servant. [Certainly that is the apex of humility.] His obedience and humility allowed Him to be obedient even to the point of death on a cross.
If Christ is my example [and He is], and I have His mind within me [and I do], how can I still be grasping what I think is rightfully mine and fighting to be best, seeking to have the most, and desiring to be recognized as better than others? What a deal! This is not following in the footsteps of Christ. First, I need to realize all that I have, and then I need to pray for the strength and grace to claim the promises of God. Finally, I need to claim the victory by stepping out in faith and acting on these principles. When I fail, I need to confess immediately and get back on track. I have to want to live this way! I have to desire obedience more than my own wants, whims, or interests.
 
Father,
What an eye-opener! Reveal to me when I am putting myself before others. Help me live like I know that I should. I do want to please and honor You and live like Your Son who indwells me. Teach me how to live in His power and with the Spirit teaching.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment