Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Rejoice

Phil. 4:4
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.
 
 
The command must be pretty important for Paul to say it twice and in such a succinct way. Why is rejoicing so difficult? Why isn't it the believer's default? Why do we go instantly to discouragement, worry, or grief? For sure, it has to do with our fleshly nature and form, but it could also be from a lack of understanding fully what it means. In this chapter Paul clarifies exactly what will make rejoicing a reality.
 
The first area that Paul addresses is anxiety or worry which is often a huge deterrent to rejoicing. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Simply put, don't worry but instead pray and be thankful. It should be a simple thing to remember! If I obey this simple command, then God's peace will be mine, and with His peace, I can rejoice in any circumstance. Worry is gone because of prayer and thankfulness and results in peace, a peaceful rejoicing.
 
Secondly, Paul speaks of the thought life. Certainly this is a huge area and one that is very powerful. We don't have to say anything; We just have to think it. However, Paul writes of the importance of controlling thoughts. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable. If there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on these things. If I limited my thoughts to these things, it would totally eliminate the what if's and the if only's. It would put me on a course that would include prayer, thankfulness, peace, and rejoicing. How important is this! Thoughts are one thing that believers can hide or at least they think they are hiding. They can appear peaceful or pure on the outside, but what is really on the inside? What do I allow in my life that I want hidden from others? Sadly, in our effort to hide our thoughts, we forget that God knows them all. Believers need to take every thought captive to Jesus Christ.
 
The next area is the who. Who do I allow to influence my life? Who do I admire, emulate, and even seek to gain their advice? Paul says, What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things and the God of peace will be with you. It is so important that believers search out and value Godly people. Listening to others who love God and are obedient to His word will grow a peaceful attitude, and this attitude will bring rejoicing.
 
Father,
Help me hear the promptings of the Spirit and then obey them instantly. Give me Your grace to keep worry, fear, and discontent from controlling my heart. Open my eyes to the truth and the things that I should allow in my mind. Help me see the people You would want me to emulate.  Give me your grace and strength to rejoice, be content, pray, and to guard my thoughts.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment