Saturday, December 15, 2012

Raised with Christ

Col. 3:1-4
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set you minds on things that are above, not on things of the earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
 
Since I have been raised with Christ, born again, and live in newness of life, then my life style must be different. But how so? One area is my focus, no longer do I value this world system, its seeming perc's, pleasures, possessions, and position, but I now seek what is above, that is Christ and the Father as revealed to me in the Word. As I go through each day, I should not even notice the worldly things because my mind and heart should be filled with my new life. I should be in constant communication with the Father and listening to the Spirit who indwells me. Sadly, many times I am all too aware of what is around me and am even comparing it to what I have. I still find myself wanting possessions and pleasures. My taste for what the world offers is still active. Oh, to transform my eyes, my heart, and even my tastes! But that is what Jesus came to do! He gave His life so that I could be vastly different from the world that I live in. He wanted me to be in the world to share His message but not to be of the world. What does that really mean practically? What is the point at which my living in the world has crossed over to the wrong side? What are the boundaries of this new life?
 
Also my mind must be set on the eternal not on the temporal because temporal things are really empty deceit. They promise what they can never deliver. Yet, even knowing this, I see the strong appeal they have to my flesh. I must remember and live like my flesh has died and my new life is hidden with Christ in God. Oh what a constant struggle! In a very real sense, I am dead to the world because of Jesus; yet in another very real sense, I am still trapped in this fleshly existence. I am constantly at war with my own flesh. But it will not always be so! Jesus will appear and call me to Himself where I will appear with Him in glory and where my life in Christ will be complete. I will never again have to deal with my flesh! What a blessed hope!
 
Father,
Send your Spirit to teach me how to live in this world without being of this world. In your grace, show me the boundaries so that I might live as You would have me live.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment