Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Press On

Phil. 3:13-15
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead. I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
 
 
What a glorious declaration! Can Paul make this statement because he is Paul, or can believers today have this kind of dedication and commitment today? After reading the chapter, Paul addressed certain areas that might be considered prerequisites for living a life solely for God.
  • Look out for evildoers who add to the gospel--In order to do this, I would have to know the truth, the Word and rely on the Spirit of God to teach me and lead me.
  • Worship God by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus--I do worship God in spirit and glory in the Son, but maybe the problem comes in applying this great doctrine. How does it look on a day-to-day basis?
  • Put no confidence in the flesh--This area is a definite problem since my flesh often rises to the foreground and attempts to power through life without praying first. I need to change my default so that it first prays, then waits, and only goes ahead when He leads.
  • Whatever gain he had, he counted as loss for the sake of Christ--Gain is something that tugs at the heart. It seems to be part of the world's system that many believers buy into. I would definitely need to pray about any gain in my life and think of how I can use it for God's glory first.
  • He counted all as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus, his Lord--Now Paul is addressing the necessities. I have not had to go without yet, but I hope and pray that I will trust God to take care of all these things.
  • He had suffered the loss of all things and counted them as rubbish so that he might gain Christ and be found in Him--For Paul Christ was vastly more important than anything earthly or fleshly. It was all loss. God is beginning to bless me with this mindset, making me aware of what is temporal and what is eternal.
  • His righteousness was not his own but came through faith in Christ--Thankfully or I would be devoid of righteousness. I so know that anything that I could do for God would be sadly lacking.
  • He wanted to know Christ in resurrection, in sufferings, and in death--As do I, but I wonder if I still have an element of fear at where this attitude will lead.
  • He pressed on by forgetting the past and straining forward to what was ahead--Forget the past! But am I straining forward? This is what would take full commitment!
  • Thinking like this is spiritual maturity-- It is my desire to grown into full maturity in Jesus Christ.
So it looks like I know and want these things, but what is holding me back. Is it my commitment or my fear of what it would mean? Is it because I like to live comfortably and serve Christ from a comfortable vantage point? So much to pray about!
 
Father,
Grow me in practically applying what You have said. Sharpen my ears to hear the Spirit's promptings so that I will be constantly decreasing while Jesus is increasing.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment