Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Conversation with God

Ps 31:1
In You, O Lord, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame; in Your righteousness deliver me!
 
 
What a conversation David had with God! His words revealed the intimacy and the honesty of his prayer life. He didn't put his distress and anguish in pleasant sounding phrases, but he laid it out exactly as it was. Even though  his life was fraught with enemies, He knew what was true about God. It was this faith in the character of God that was his stay.
 
Some of David's actions seem to be counterbalanced with his requests. His positive actions either springboard to the petition or result from the petition. I see that every detail or circumstance in my life should lead me to prayer. It should be my internal, constant dialogue.
  • In You Lord do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame; in Your righteousness deliver me.
  • I hate those who pay regard to worthless idols, but I trust in the Lord.
  • Be gracious to me , O Lord, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief, my soul and my body also. For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing, my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away.
  • Because of my adversaries I have become a reproach...But I trust in You, O Lord. I say, You are my God. My times are in Your hand, rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors.
David also had passages of praise to God for who He was and how He had worked in David's life. These realities were his stay and comfort in the hard times.
  • You are my rock and my fortress, and for Your name's sake you lead me.
  • Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.
  • Oh, how abundant is Your goodness which You have stored up for those who fear You and worked for those who take refuge in You.
  • In the cover of Your presence You hide them from the plans of men;
  • Blessed be the Lord for He has wondrously shown His steadfast love to me when I was in a besieged city.
  • You have heard the voice of my please for mercy when I cried to You for help.
Finally David ends the psalm with an exhortation to all the saints, a message of encouragement from one who has personally lived it.
  • Love the Lord all you His saints!
  • The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.
  • Be strong, and let your heart take courage all you who wait for the Lord!
Father,
I confess my lack of prayer. Give me strength of spirit so that I will speak to You all throughout the day.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 
     


No comments:

Post a Comment