Sunday, February 24, 2013

Be Still

Ps. 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
 
What are the consequences of believing this statement? What is implied? First and foremost, it implies that I have a relationship with God. Knowing Him personally and trusting in Him for all things means He is my refuge and strength, my help in trouble. Even though I know this in my head, how many times do I try and solve a problem on my own. My default mode seems to leave God out until the situation has me completely against the wall. How sad when He is there waiting for me! 
 
Secondly, I will not fear though the earth gives way, or the mountains be destroyed. Major global situations will not touch me because I know that God is in the midst of it all. His will and plan operate without interruption. I may not see His plan clearly but that is not the issue. The issue is that I cease fear and cling to Him.
 
Next I need to behold the works of the Lord. I need to focus on what He has done and on what is true about Him. He is faithful to all His words and kind in all His works. There are no gray areas with God. I know exactly where He stands and where I stand. Thank God, He is merciful!
 
Finally, I need to Be still and know that He is God. He will be exalted among the nations and in all the earth. The Lord is with me. He is my fortress. I do notice that when my days are jammed with things to do, I tend to run headlong from one thing to the next. All this crowds out my time with God and my obedience to His word. The key to my relationship in this busy culture that I live in is to be still. Be still and know that He is God.
 
Father,
Keep my eyes focused on You knowing full well that you are in charge of all things. Teach me to be still and to wait on You. That is so foreign to me. I know You are my refuge and strength. I just need to be taught how to make it a reality.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment