Friday, February 22, 2013

Slave

Mt. 20:26-27
It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many.
 
I am called to follow in His footsteps-footsteps that include suffering, persecution, and servant hood. I know that the servant can not be greater than his master so I can not be greater than Jesus. However, this concept is not only paradoxical but also counter to my culture. In the world I am to push myself forward, to get and to gain, but in the Jesus' realm, others come first. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Such a hard concept! My flesh tells me to be the best, to do my own thing before others, and to think I am something important. But in truth my self-worth comes in knowing Jesus. It comes in understanding that a true sense of self-worth means that I can do nothing apart from Jesus. All I have and am is a reflection of Him. But living a life like this is very hard. Who wants to be constantly thinking of others first especially when others take it all without giving any back. Pretty soon I am wondering who is being a servant to me? There is the rub! I cannot do it knowing that I will get it back. I must do it in the same spirit Christ did, that is the spirit of self-sacrificial love. Jesus cared about everyone else even to the point of dying for the sins of many. What is the measure of my life? It is self-sacrificial? Thankfully, when God calls me to follow and obey, He gives me the grace and strength to do it. None of this serving others can be done in the flesh. It must be done only through Him so that it can bring glory to His name.
 
Father,
Thank You for such great grace! Teach me to embrace servant hood and follow in His footsteps. Grow me in bringing honor to Your name.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment