Saturday, February 2, 2013

Promises

Ps. 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid.
 
 
What a wealth of promises that the Lord makes for His chosen ones!
  •  The Lord is my light and my salvation.-He shows me the path to salvation, drawing me, giving me His salvation.
  • The Lord is the stronghold of my life. He is my refuge, that place where I can go and be safe.
  • Of whom shall I be afraid? There is no reason for me to fear man. God who created man is my salvation, light, and stronghold.
  • He will hide me in His shelter in the day of trouble. When trouble comes, and it does, I have a place of safety, and that safety is in Him.
  • He will conceal me under the cover of His tent; He will lift me high upon a rock. He does not hide me in an place removed from Him. It is in His tent. When enemies pursue, He will elevate me so that I am unreachable.
  • My head shall be lifted up above my enemies. How frustrating for my enemies!
As beautiful as these promises are, David's responses are equally so.
  • One thing have I asked of the Lord that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple.What is my one thing? Surely, in light of all the promises this would be my heart's desire. I would want to be as close to the Lord as possible.
  • And I will offer in His tent, sacrifices with shouts of Joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord. When I am in His tent, I need not fear. In reality, it is the complete opposite. I should be shouting with joy as I offer my living sacrifice.
  • Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; be gracious and answer me! David desires and audience with the Lord. He wants God in His great grace to answer.
  • Teach me Your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. Give me not up to the will of my adversaries.Deliverance comes in the knowing and resting in His  will and way. To be led on a level path would be glorious.
  • I believe I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord. David's heart is encouraged after this time of prayer. He can rest assured that the goodness of the Lord will be his portion. He knows he must wait, be strong, and take courage. Hard to do when the enemies are bearing down upon you! But David has prayed and left his petitions with the Lord. He has claimed the promises and now he must wait!
What a beautiful passage! It resonates heavily in my life. This is my portion to know the promises of God, to pray with them in my heart, and then to wait for God to work knowing full well that He does all for my good.
 
Father,
My heart desires to get so close to you. I want David's one thing to be mine. Grow me so that my desires will be purified and only long for You.
In Jesus name,
Amen
     

No comments:

Post a Comment