Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Tongue

Ps. 39:1
I said, I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle, so long as the wicked are in my presence.
 
How easy is it to sin with the tongue and not just in the presence of the wicked! Unless the tongue and the mouth are controlled by God, then disaster looms. I find that I am often like David when he said, I was mute and silent; I held my peace to no avail, and my distress became worse, my heart became hot within me. As David meditated on his inability to control his tongue, he began to pray. O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am. Nothing reveals the human weaknesses like the tongue! As James said, How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! The tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. Without divine help, controlling the tongue is impossible. Amazingly, even with all the great power, information, and insight that man has today, he cannot tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the human mouth come blessing and cursing. James said simply, My brothers, these things ought not to be so. There is the dilemma. It is my human weakness and no matter how hard I try I often fail. What can I do? Where can I turn? Like David I must call out to God. My hope is in You. Deliver me from my transgressions. So as I face each day with all of its challenges and temptations, I can call out to God for the strength and the power that I need.

Father,
Give me Your strength in all power according to Your glorious might so I might walk fully pleasing to You bearing fruit in every good work.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment