Thursday, February 14, 2013

Trust in the Lord

Psalm 37:3
Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
 
What is trust? How do I trust in the Lord? Verse 4 says to delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. What a strong bond trust and delighting have! If I delight in anything, whatever that something is, it will have control over my life. What I delight in, I value and make time for. So if my delight is in the Lord, then my day will be consumed by Him. Then trusting in the Lord will naturally be a by-product of my delight, my personal relationship with God. What I must ask is if  the desire of my heart is to trust Him?  If this is my desire, then God has promised to increase my trust. The more that I abide and delight in Him, the more that I trust. 
 
Another element of trust is committing my way to the Lord. When I have taken my hands off the ownership of my life and given it to Him, then trust becomes my life. Trust in the Lord, and He will act. Trust allows for action. It gives me a blessing in seeing Him work in my life. He will do what He will do. But how will I respond? Will I fight against it to my own detriment, or will I faithfully trust in Him and accept what He does as the best for my life?
 
Be still and wait patiently for Him, fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil desires. Trust means waiting, waiting for God to act in His perfect time and trusting Him to handle all the situations in my life even the situations where someone is getting the best of me or where someone is plotting evil against me. Trust means that I don't balance the scales of justice, but instead I entrust my life to Him who judges justly. God Himself will balance the scales, it is up to me to trust Him. Maybe I won't see this balancing in my lifetime, but that should not erode my trust at all. With my eyes firmly and faithfully fixed on Him, what goes around me in this world will not faze me in the least. I will be looking to heaven and waiting eagerly for the blessed hope when Jesus will come and call me to Himself.
 
Father,
Build my trust so that I will not be fazed what the world does. Take away from me my desire to balance the scales. Instead draw my eyes to You. Bring Your words to my mind so that I can trust in what You say and who You are.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment