Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Befitting

Ps. 93:5
Your decrees are very trustworthy; holiness befits Your house, O Lord, forevermore.
 
As I read this, I wondered about the word 'befit,' I found that it meant to satisfy, suffice; function, or work. Holiness satisfies the house of God in the fact that God is holiness, but I think suffice has the better meaning for this verse. Holiness suffices. It fills until there is no more filling. It completes until there is nothing missing. In God's house holiness is all and in all. God is holy and His holiness can allow for nothing other than holiness to be in His presence.
 
In Old Testament times, the people offered sacrifices for their sins. They could come to the house of God but not in the house of God because the sacrifices they offered were not complete or whole. Consequently, hey had to offer sacrifices repeatedly. But Christ came and changed that completely. His sacrifice was once for all. His blood covered my sin and allowed me entrance to the house of God as a son and as a joint heir with Jesus Christ. Was this because of anything that I had done? No, it is only because of the grace of God. On His standing alone I am holy and can come into the House of God. His holiness in me befits the house of God. How gracious is His grace!
 
Father,
Thank You so much for the gift of Jesus, for His once for all sacrifice, and for His holiness becoming mine so that I could come into Your presence. Teach me to live in the reality of my redemption and ownership.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment